Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Oakland, France, United States

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Dinner at Cartet


Chris and Emmet treated us to one of the most memorable meals of our lives Friday night at Cartet, a tiny restaurant specializing in Lyonnaise fare on 62, rue de Malte near our apartment in the 11th. Expertly run by a husband and wife, it is not a restaurant for the meek or squeamish, and we will surely return in the future. I'm not sure if words can do justice to the stellar experience and meal we had there, but here are a few choice snippets of conversation and photos....



"Oh my god, this is so good."

"Chris, more nose?"

"You probably had more nose than you had beef."

To the owner/chef/server/busser/dishwasher: "Dessert...how does it work?"
Response: "Oui, I put everything on the table..."

The menu...

4 Terrines: Foie de volailles; Herbes de Provence; Pâté de tête, Jambon persillé
accompanied by homemade cornichons

Museau de boeuf vinaigrette

Salade aux lardons

Escalope de ris de veau

Châteaubriant

Côte de veau aux Morilles

Magret de canard au poivre vert

Pommes lyonnaise

Dessert - L'assortiment
Creme caramel, riz au lait, mousse au chocolat, tarte au citron, oeufs á la neige (floating islands in creme anglaise), bugues (crunchy little puffy dough), and choux (similar to profiteroles, filled with rum-flavored pastry cream and drizzled with caramelized sugar)

Wine: a Côte du Rhône: Saint-Esteve d'Uchaux 2003

Unbelieveable.

Cartet
62, Rue de Malte (11th Arr.)
Paris, 75011

3 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline A. Whole said...

Wow, that looks pretty amazing. It sounds so yummy too. All those frenchy words!

I can't believe how quickly Emmett is growing up. I assume since he wasn't in the pictures, he's the one behind the camera? What a smart boy!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline A. Whole said...

Call me low class, but there's nothing better than food served in troughs

3:57 PM  
Blogger JBY said...

Ok, your friend Jen is HILARIOUS!!! I'm still laughing.

What an amazing meal! I wish I knew what you guys really ate. And I wish I was there during dessert. When you guys come back, I'll have to make my choux and then you guys can let me know how I stack up with the pros.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older
Site Meter