Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Oakland, France, United States

Friday, October 21, 2005

Dinner at Chez Georges

Our first attempt to have dinner at Chez Georges was back in 2003 with Jen and Helen. We walked in with no reservation and were turned away because the entire restaurant was full. Dejected, we had pizza for dinner that night.

This time, we successfully made a reservation for three -- David, Scotia, and me.



For our starters, we shared their famous salade aux frisée, lardons, et ouef poche (frisee salad with bacon and a poached egg) and a foie gras d'oie maison.

Scotia had the Coquilles St. Jacques Sauteés avec eschalotes. (Scallops seared in butter with shallots) The scallops were incredibly sweet and tender -- perfectly prepared.


David had Ris de Veau aux morilles et pate (Veal sweetbreads with morel mushrooms and fresh pasta)



I had the entrecôte grillée a la moëlee avec frites. (Rib-eye steak with fries and a side of bone marrow) I felt like I scored the jackpot here when this dish was presented to me. I have only eaten bone marrow at a restaurant twice -- once at 42 Degrees in San Francisco, spooned straight out of the roasted marrow bones, and another time in Paris at Baracane-Bistrot de L’Oulette. It is pure indulgence when prepared correctly -- soft pieces of buttery, creamy marrow that melt in your mouth. I like to spread it on toast, but on this occasion, I went whole hog and just ate it straight out of the heated dish. Each piece was perfectly salted, the ideal companion for my smoky rib-eye steak. I don't think anyone could believe that I polished off almost every morsel of food... and had room for dessert. I justified it by thinking about how much I ran over the weekend, but still....


Dessert: The three of us shared the world's most amazing profiteroles filled with vanilla ice cream. There were 6 perfect little profiteroles sitting in a pool of warm bittersweet chocolate sauce. See how happy David looks? Scotia and I each threatened to lick the plate. I was serious, and I think Scotia was, too.


Chez Georges
1, rue du Mail in the 2nd arr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older
Site Meter